The Dream - Part 3

by Bex

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


How was it that someone who was a complete stranger here and didn't even understand more than a word of two of the language could be obliged to join the leader of a hidden elven enclave in order to break fast?!

So I wondered, yet there I was, sitting, fidgeting inwardly, at a small table across from Elrond Halfelven. I knew he supposedly had family. None of them were in attendance; all I'd seen was a servant who'd gracefuly and silently slipped in and out to deliever the morning's repast: breads, cheeses, cold meats, and a mild, perhaps watered-down wine. Temeril, who'd practically been my shadow since I'd awoken had pointedly not been invited. A selection of pantomime had formed my invitation, and curious and truth be told chary of causing offense by refusing, I'd accepted, and been guided to this cozy room in what I assumed to be the family quarters of Rivendell's leader.

I gulped mentally. Here, somehow, came the subtle disguised interrogation, I thought. To find out how I knew of this place, if I, as I claimed, didn't belong here. I ought never to have opened my mouth.

You keep saying that. Why?

I tensed and slotted him a wary glance. He was poised, knife raised over a roll, eyebrow slightly arched.

Yes, that had been him. He was talking to me mind to mind. I instantly accepted that, but part of me froze, rabbit-like. If it hadn't been so unnerving, I'd have jumped for joy over the sudden ability to communicate. Caught between conflicting emotions, I sensibly did nothing.

Yes. Though the others also spake to you thus.

Then why was it now so obvious--? Was he thinking in English--?

Mind-talk is mind-talk. Universal. You assume it to be your own tongue. It may be that the human side of my heritage allows me to speak more clearly to you, for you to understand. I wanted to speak with you alone, without the distractions of others nearby to confuse matters.

I offered a shakey smile.

Why are you suddenly so wary of us? He tactfully didn't add, Of me, though he might as well have.

I'm not supposed to be here, I said simply. And he was the Leader, with the fate of all here in his hands, and--

Ah. His sending contained the equivalent of a wry smile. Do you think I'd have allowed you within this House to begin with, had I considered you to be a danger to us?

That had the paradoxical effect of being at once reassuring and unnerving. Me always having been one to read between the lines.

All of us are capable of being dangerous, Sarah...given the proper circumstances. Including you. But here, now...it seems we were fated to meet, in friendship.

I looked up hopefully, but lodged a last protest. This isn't my place. My land. It's so different from where I usually am. I have to be dreaming. Soon, I will wake up, and be gone.

He paused in consideration, and to my surprise, didn't automatically disagree with my assessment. That may be. But until then, you are here, yes?

I sat and stared narrow-eyed at him. How could he be so accepting of this, this impossibility? Did he always believe three impossible things before breakfast every morning?

Across the table his wry smile widened slightly. You judge me by your... He didn't have to add 'human'... standards. I have seen far more than you could perhaps imagine.

And there it was - that touch of Elven arrogance! I hesitated, caught between real irritation and amusement. It might even have been unconscious on his part, and yet I couldn't quite leave it unanswered...

I don't know - I can imagine quite a lot!

And he laughed aloud, a short chuckle. That, then may be the reason that you are here, now.

I sat then, and simply gave him a Look. Damn him - it'd taken him all of ten minutes to get me off my guard and unbent and look at him-! Pleased as the cat with the proverbial bird...

He peered across at me, face gone innocent again, before allowing one corner of his mouth to quirk momentarily. Well, I have, it could be said...been around for a while. He waved a hand, indicating my almost untouched food. Eat - do you want me to have to tell Fiorin that you didn't like her cooking? But he was again smiling.

I shook my head. And found myself now able to eat, my stomach setting forth its demands, now that the tide of anxiety had vanished. At least for now.

It was indeed something to experience a first hand demonstration of why Elrond was the long-time leader of a hidden elven enclave.

*****

We finished our meal in mostly companionable mental silence, me inwardly still shaking my head with the wonder of it all. If this was a dream, I wondered how much I would recall when I eventually awoke.

I paused suddenly, frozen in the act of finishing off a roll. I glanced up at Elrond and found him gazing back. Finishing my mouthful, I addressed him again.

The ability to imagine might be key, you said. One thing I can imagine is... Can you... arrange it so I can understand and speak the languages here? Or at least the elven language? The thought of being reduced again to sign language and Hello-Goodbye when I left his presence didn't appeal to me in the least.

He pondered a few moments. I do not know, he admitted finally. But if it is within our power here, it shall be done. I shall consult certain records.

And so he set out to do, once breakfast was over. In the meantime, a servant escorted me back, not to the House of Healing, but to a room set aside for me, for Gaenir had released me. If I was well enough to eat with Elrond, I was healed enough, Elrond had told me was how he'd put it. But I had been adjured to rest much, lest I end up back in the infirmary.

When in doubt, rest, I guess their motto was.

We'd gone down one short hallway before Temeril happened by chance to encounter us. Chance my arse. A cheery "Hell-oh, Sarah!", a few elven words and meaningful glances later, and he'd evidentally wrangled his way into relieveing my original escort of her duties. She accepted the inevitable and departed back whence we'd come, as the young lad took over.

Back to the smiles and pantomime. I looked at him a little darkly. Why was this fellow turning into my shadow, and why most of all did he feel somehow 'familiar'? It was much more than the fact that we'd both been in the infirmary. He glanced sidelong at me, and his mien turned furtive.

I thought back to what Elrond had said about mind-talking. He'd said everyone had been doing it to me; I just hadn't recognized it as such. Which meant Temeril probably knew basically what I was thinking...

My God, did I have no privacy at all?!

Temeril looked at me in sudden alarm. He opened his mouth as if to say something, then shook his head in frustration. Halting at a door, he opened it and gestured gracefully with one hand in clear invitation. Your room, milady... the movement said.

At this I had to smile, and I ventured within. The room was well-appointed, cozy and comfortable, though not over-large. Stone floor, fireplace, bed, clothes press. Two large windows provided plenty of light. A stand with bowls and ewers for washing. I had no complaints about the accomodation. Not least as I'd shown up, an uninvited and unexpected guest.

My escort, however...was another matter. He waited within the room, but near the door, as if waiting for a tip. I stood pretending to look around, even though I'd seen enough to know I'd be fine here. I know you can understand me...can't you? I sent to my new friend. I felt nothing obvious in return and snarled in sudden anger. ANSWER ME!!

I felt suddenly a lump of ice in my stomach...and realized that wasn't me. It was him, as I turned on my heel to find him staring at me in what I could only interpret as shock...and hurt.

And I knew without being told that I'd just done the mental equivalent of slapping him across the face. Probably.

"I'm sorry...I didn't really mean..."

Except I had. In a way. I stared at him, guilt and anger coiling in my gut. Why the conflicting feelings? One minute, he was a sweet, reassuring presence near me, the next, profoundly Irritating. I mean, it wasn't like he'd been the cause of me coming here or someth--

I watched his face change its expression. Trapped rabbit. Now that's something to see on the fair, forever unblemished face of an elf. Once again, the pieces fell into place, like grinding boulders. The look Elrond had given Temeril in the infirmary suddenly made sense. Too much sense.

You did this. It was you. YOU!!!

He flinched back. Young as he was, nevertheless a being already older than I'd ever get...but still cringing away from my human fury.

A fury which abated almost as fast as it had arisen. I sat down heavily on the bed, abruptly exhausted. You did this. Do you have any idea what you've done?

"I'm sorry. I just... wanted to meet you."

And he was, too. As angry as I had been with him, I could feel it. He might have been a young, naive, meddling fool, to do what he had done...but he was a sincere one.

I 'heard' him now, almost as clearly as I'd 'heard' Elrond. Then I realized...he'd spoken aloud. I gawped.

"Say that again!"

His brow furrowed. "That I am sorry?"

"You talked! I can understand you!" I jumped up, my dire straights momentarily forgotten in my excitement. "He must have found some magic or spell and gotten it to work!"

It was true...my verbal language as far as I could now tell was synched with that of those with whom I spoke. Or so it seemed to me; I could speak and get their meaning, which was all I cared about. To be specific, it worked with Temeril. Now to test it further.

I ducked my head out of my room, just in time to see someone passing by in the hallway outside. "Excuse me; do you understand what I'm saying??" I asked her breathlessly, the words tumbling out.

The dark-haired young woman froze, astonished at the unexpected interrogation. Raising an eyebrow in a gesture which as it would turn out she'd inherited from her father, she paused, perhaps noting Temeril's pale face peering over my shoulder.

Amusement and sudden comprehension altered her expression, and she inclined her head gracefully. "Yes, Lady Sarah," she replied, her own eyes twinkling. "I understand you perfectly." She sent an additional archly amused glance at the person lurking behind me then inclined her head again in a gesture of farewell to me before gliding on her way.

I almost clapped my hands together as I turned back to Temeril. "Do you know what this MEANS?! I can talk! To you all!"

Under the influence of my newfound joy, some of his chagrin began to dissipate, his natural cheer reasserting itself. "Does this mean you're not angry with me anymore?"

I paused to look consideringly at him. Really look at him. I felt I somehow 'knew' him? What then was there, below the handsomely packaged surface of this being who'd somehow dragged me living into a dream?

"Still, somewhat. But it doesn't matter as much...now that I can at least talk to you all."

It would probably matter again later. But for the moment, I had an elven city to explore...and a willing guide, eager to expiate his misdeed.

~End Part 3~