~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: *Blushes and digs sneaker toe in dirt, self-consciously gratified* Well, dangit... ^_^ Got a bit of momentum back, so here's another section.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Dream - Part 11

by Bex

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


By now, I'd honed the story of how I'd come to Arda down to a compact paragraph, similar to what Frodo had mentioned he'd heard. About how I was drawn here, seemingly by 'accident' of magic, knowing a tale of this land told by my people. And how, becoming aware that it was still unfolding here, had chosen to speak of my worries to Gandalf and Elrond.

A few eyebrows raised, a few glances to and fro, but no-one protested. I felt myself relax somewhat as Gandalf re-took up the narrative, then Frodo, with Aragorn adding a few details, as they told of what had happened next.

It was not until Aragorn tersely spoke, with a quick glance aside at Radagast, of their discovery of who they'd discovered attacking Frodo that someone interjected.

Surprisingly, it was not Saruman's envoy, but Galadriel's. "Might you have been mistaken?"

Aragorn regarded her gravely. "I wish that it were so, my lady. But my ears heard clearly."

"In the midst of combat, even so?"

"I was there also," Gandalf reminded her. "It is as he said."

Radagast's brows were drawn together. Understandably so. He had held his peace until then, but now he spoke. "On the basis of one word, on one incidence of ruffians accosting peaceful dwellers, you cast this suspicion on the head of our order, the leader of the White Council?" He rose to his feet for emphasis. "What madness is this?!" One thing Istari were good at was making themselves heard. I felt myself shrink in my seat.

Anatuil looked over at me. "There is more to this than just what happened in the land of the Haflings," she observed. As she continued to stare, the other delegates looked curiously over at me again as well.

Eeep.

Would you think me crazy if I said it seemed to me was not merely Anatuil 'staring' at me from across the table? But also someone else, a very strong will, examining me with a wary curiosity?

Perhaps you wouldn't.

My choice. To cringe, to flee in some fashion like an accused child, passing the buck...or stand up for my perceptions, my 'knowledge'.

I sat up again and returned her gaze. Or, as I said, in a way I knew but didn't articulate properly until later... their gazes. "Among my...'warnings'... Was that in the tale as we know it, Saruman craved the Ring for his own use. And communicated with Sauron. He was allied to Sauron."

Cat was out of the bag now. I deliberately folded my hands in front of me on the polished table top as voices rose in a murmur of discontent around me. My eyes were still on Anatuil as she blinked and I saw that impression of 'doubleness' in her gaze recede.

"Impossible!" boomed Radagast. "Mithrandir, do not tell me you believe this!"

"Entirely possible!"Gandalf shot back. "You know the temptation such a thing as this Ring would pose to any of us!" His voice softened then. "I like this little more than you do, old friend." He glanced around. "But for the moment, until we know more, we must treat Saruman with the utmost caution."

The Brown wizard cast an angry glance at me. I almost flinched again, even as I felt Temeril next to me glaring back, but I managed to hold my ground and meet the Istar's disbelieving look. "I'm sorry," I said. "But that is what our tales told. And it seems to have been confirmed."

"Was what occurred in the land of the Halflings according to your 'tales'? Anatuil asked then. A sharp one, that lady. Of course, one would not expect the person attending on behalf of the Lady Galadriel to be any less.

I hesitated, considering how best to reply to this. But in the end, there was only one correct answer. "No. Actions meant to occur later this year happened more recently...and no Southrons attacked Frodo in our tales."

A delicate brow rose slightly. "Then it seems that your 'tale' is already no longer 'true'."

There was a pause as everyone around the table digested that.

I saw Galadriel's envoy sending glances Elrond's and Gandalf's way. I could just imagine the content, too: And you're still taking her counsel because?

And a voice suddenly spoke up. "I am alive, here today, with this 'Ring', because of the Lady Sarah's 'tale'."

It was Frodo. He glanced around at the perturbed and confused faces. "Had she not told us of what she knew, so that Gandalf and Aragorn didn't come to find me, the Ring might be gone, who knows where?" He sent a look my way, looking somewhat apologetic. (I found out later that was for forgetting and using 'Lady'.) "For that alone I do thank her."

"And in that we are all fortunate...but that does not prove Curunir has turned traitor!" Radagast growled, and the debate swirled off again. I put my head in my hands.

It was going to be a looong afternoon.

*****

Not too long after, though, we saw the glimmerings of light on the horizon. So to speak.

"Peredhil, do you agree with this assessment?" Radagast asked. He seemed to be gradually winding down. I glanced up, the thought finally occurring to me that the Istar had his share of denial to work through. He had, after all, come here on Saruman's behest, all gung-ho for his mission.

Had to be kind of embarrassing.

All eyes turned to Elrond. "I agree that Lady Sarah is sincere in what she offers as her truth," he replied diplomatically. "And it seems to have been borne out, at least until the point at which our history recently diverged. It may be...that other elements may remain 'true'. Unpalatable as they be. We must take it all into consideration."

There was something to Elrond's delivery...his calm way of defusing tension...

Must be that elvish 'wisdom of ages' thing.

The fire in Radagast's eyes had dwindled back down to embers, you might say. He had spoken up most passionately in Saruman's defense, though several others had expressed their dismay and doubts. I glanced around. Anatuil looked contemplative. Faramir looked thoughtful and worried, and I could imagine why. Isengard was not that far from Gondor. Flanked...

I suddenly recalled what his father was likely doing at this time...taking in Sauron's lies, the despair that would ultimately kill that proud, bitter man...at least in the original story.

I looked away. Time enough for that particular issue later.

So many people to 'save'....gods...

The envoys from east of the Misty Mountains, from Escaroth and Dale looked a bit more bemused; Saruman and the White Council had been more hearsay to them than a part of their lives. Gloin spoke for them all perhaps, mostly rhetorically, when he asked:

"Is it settled, then? We do not longer trust the White Wizard? First these envoys of Sauron who appear threatening us, now we have lost another ally?"

Halbeorn had been silent but watchful though the whole process thus far. "This changes nothing for us," he growled suddenly, startling those sitting next to him. "His people were...not welcome in our lands before, but seldom ventured that far." I glanced over at him surreptitiously. I bet they didn't...

He grinned briefly, a not-nice flash of teeth. "They will remain unwelcome."

And on that note, the Council was convened until the next day. Now that the 'simple part' was over, Gandalf put it as we all filed out - when I heard that, I resisted my initial impulse, which was to groan - tomorrow we'd get down to the main purpose of this historic meeting.

Which was: What to do with the One Ring and the pesky Dark Lord who'd made it.

~End Part 11~